Walking Tour 10/18/2015
- The Douglaston and Little Neck Historical Society
- Invites you to
- A walking tour of the Douglaston Hill Historic District,
- With Kevin Wolfe, architect and historian
- SUNDAY, OCTOBER 18, 2015
- 1 pm-3 pm
- Tickets: $20.00
- If purchased in advance
- At www.DLNHS.Org
- Location ( see details below)
- Meet at the grand staircase of the Catharine Turner Richardson Park, corner of Douglaston Parkway & Poplar St., Douglaston NY 11363.
- Tour will conclude with cookies and cider on the classic front porch of a recently restored 1899 Queen Anne Style mansion overlooking the park.
- 328 Manor Road
- Douglaston, NY 11363
- WWW. DLNHS.ORG
Come see Friends of the Little Neck - Douglaston Library's New Historic Local Photo Exhibit at the Little Neck Branch of the Queensborough Public Library Located at Northern Boulevard & 249th Street
Photo: Ron Wan
Each month a new historical photo from the Douglaston & Little Neck Historical Society's collection will be presented for public viewing
The first photo shows Douglaston Hose Company's firehouse circa 1903. The Company's history and a list of its members when it was mustered out in 1929 accompany the photo
An opening reception is being planned for September
It is the objective and purpose of the Douglaston and Little Neck Historical Society, Inc. to publicize, preserve, and protect the historical significance of the towns of Douglaston and Little Neck, adjacent nature preserves, and those other sections or buildings of the two towns worthy of preservation through the collection, research, and dissemination of historical information to the public.
The Douglaston & Little Neck Historical Society was formed in January of 1989 as a not for profit 501 (c) 3 organization. Dues and donations are tax deductible as permitted by law.
- Creation of New York City Landmark DistrictsTo date, with an out pouring of help and support from the community, it has helped New York City create two historic districts. The Douglaston Historic District in 1997, and the Douglaston Hill Historic District in 2004. The Society also succeeded in having both districts added to the New York State and National Registers of Historic Places with Douglaston Hill being added in 2000 and the Douglaston Historic District in 2005.
- A Permanent Historic CollectionThe Society houses its collection of photos, maps, blueprints, drawings, and artifacts, most donated by local residents, at the Bayside Historical Society. The collection is open to scholars and the public for on site viewing. For an appointment call BHS at 718 352-1548, or via firstname.lastname@example.org.
- EducationThe Society increases public awareness of the two town’s architectural significance, planning, and social history through public forums like house tours, walking tours, historian speakers, planners, and architects. The Society has funded two major public exhibitions. The Environment of the American Dream – The Garden Suburb at Douglaston which was co-sponsored with the Municipal Art Society and shown at the Urban Center in 1991. Flights of Fancy: Ariel Photographs of Douglaston and Little Neck used the University of California – Davis' collection of Fairchild Ariel photographs taken from 1920 – 54 to visually tell the story of our changing communities.
- ResearchIn 1991 the Society hired a team of historians to document the development and social history of the two proposed historic areas which were eventually designated historic landmark districts. Much of this discovered information was used by the Douglas Manor Association in their 2006 anniversary book, This Salubrious Spot: The First 100 Years at Douglas Manor 1906 – 2006.
- Renovations, Additions, and New Construction in the Two DistrictsThe Society’s Architecture Committee provides residents with information on preserving, restoring, and sensitively rebuilding their homes. It is comprised of Architects, Engineer’s, and Historians. The committee meets with residents and counsels them on design solutions for planned renovations, additions, or new construction. All free of charge!