The North Shore Hotel
aka Evan's Hotel and Douglaston Inn
The North Shore Hotel was believed to have been built c. 1850 1 and was located just east of 247th Street (Lot 75 of Map No. 223 of the village of Marathon) on the Flushing & North Hempstead Turnpike (now Northern Boulevard).
The photographs at right and the large one below show the hotel at three different time periods. They are identified by the names that the business went by at the various times.
Community newspapers chronicle the on-goings at the hotel in some detail:
Flushing Journal 12/13/1890: Drunken vagrant laborer on the North Hempstead Turnpike brought to the North Shore Hotel where he slept in a horse stall.
Flushing Evening Journal 11/6/1897: Proprietors Livingston and Wright report hotel is popular with young people for parties. Henry Snell is having the hotel upgraded with new plumbing and steam heat.Flushing Daily Times 7/11/1903: Douglaston Hose Company No. 1 celebrates its founding at the hotel now known as Evan's Hotel.
Flushing Daily Times 10/19/1904 & 11/5/1904: Republican rally takes place at Evan's Hotel.
Flushing Journal 6/10/1905: Evan's Hotel filled with summer boarders.
Flushing Daily Times 10/23/1905: Protest meeting concerning proposed school site.
Flushing Daily Times 2/3/1909: Douglaston Civic Association meeting.
Flushing Daily Times 6/17/1909: Dinner given in honor of Norris Mason who worked on a fundraiser for Blessed Sacrament Church in Bayside. Denis O'Leary was toastmaster.
Flushing Evening Journal 1/8/1910: Douglaston Civic Association holds meeting.
Flushing Daily Times 6/13/1910: Civic association meeting again.
In 1915, The hotel was known as the Douglaston Inn. Father Francis J. Uleau, first Pastor of St. Anastasia, held the initial services at the hotel. 2
The Douglaston Inn was closed when prohibition came. It stood idle for some time and was finally taken down in the 1930s 3, most likely during the widening of Northern Boulevard at that time.