Douglaston Train Station
The Flushing & Northside Railroad extended to the Village of Flushing in 1854, and as far as Great Neck, presently Nassau County, Long Island, in 1866. William Douglas donated a farm building from his estate to serve as the railroad station. In exchange, he asked that the station and the village around it be called Douglaston. In 1887, Douglas and resident subscribers funded the Queen Anne-style depot building and landscaping at the new Douglaston station as shown in the picture. Popular postmaster and gardener Albert Benz directed the landscaping project.
The scene is looking North on today's 235th Street just past Station Realty at about George Martin's restaurant. To the left is a wooden sign advertising lots in Douglas Manor. Part of the LIRR station roof can be seen just above the sign. Moving right we see the turret of the Van Vleit mansion with its well manicured grounds. It later became PS 98 and stood until the present building was completed in 1931. On the right at the gate is the crossing watchman's shanty. The track closest is a spur leading to a small freight yard built in 1866 to accommodate the Alley mills. Just below that we can see the first steps of a wooden stairway leading up to the foot of Poplar Street. The ruble stone wall probably dates to a road widening to accommodate the 1906 development of Douglas Manor and can still be seen North of Willow Street opposite the Community Church. The discoloration in the well graded roadway is from oil used to control dust and hold the sand in place during wet weather. Although many believe our cobble stone gutters were constructed by the Works Progress Administration, and no doubt some were, they were actually a common means of controlling erosion dating to colonial times.
By 1961, the Queen Anne-style building had deteriorated to such an extent that the company decided it was not worth repairing, so plans were instigated to have the building replaced.
Above is shown the architects conception of the new station which has been erected on the site of the former station building. The plans were developed by a Douglaston resident, A. Gordon Lorimer, whose design was accepted by the Long Island Rail Road Company and the Douglaston residents. The new station was formally opened in 1962 and still stands today.
This was the type of train that stopped at Douglaston and Little Neck from 1912 to 1972. Gray and orange MP54 4174 LIRR car at Jamaica Yard, October, 1970
This is an eastbound LIRR train arriving in Douglaston on September 9th, 1965.
RPPC RAIL ROAD STATION DOUGLAS MANOR